Ruckersville Baptist Church Email:info@ruckersvillebaptist.org Get the weekly Bulletin
Ruckersville Baptist Chruch Ruckersville Baptist Church Ruckersville Baptist Church
Our Church
Union ChurchOur history is traced to the old Orange Church, erected in 1732 on the Dr. Jennings Farm, located one half mile east of Ruckersville. On June 9, 1879, the church was moved to Ruckersville and called the Union Church. Early in 1890, three denominations organized--the Baptist, the Methodist, and the Disciples. The Masonic Lodge was to have the upstairs room.

Union ChurchOn December 18, 1892, the Baptist congregation organized with 17 signers. Our first pastor was Rev. Thomas T. Grimsley of Culpeper who came by train to Barboursville each Friday evening. He was met by a member of the church and visited in members' homes for the weekend and held church service on Sunday until his death in 1909. In 1906, the will of Mrs. Mary Sims Garr was probated and Mrs. Garr left $450 to help build a permanent Baptist Church at Ruckersville. Mrs. Garr lived in Kentucky but was formerly of Ruckersville--a stained glass window dedicated to Mrs. Garr is located at front left of church.

Members worshiped in the Union Church until 1908, at which time the present church was erected. Other additions include: second floor addition, nursery, classrooms and our first indoor bathroom --1954; a fellowship hall with kitchen and 2 restrooms --1972; and a handicap entrance, foyer renovation, a Sunday School wing with classrooms, pastor's office and restrooms--1997. An outdoor pavilion was erected in 2006.

Ruckersville Baptist Church Ruckersville Baptist Church

 

Home | Our Church | Contact Us | Prayer Requests | Our Pastor | Missions | Photo Gallery | Directions | Links | Events

Copyright © 2009 Ruckersville Baptist Church

Ruckersville Baptist Church